Saturday, October 21, 2023

We Improve Our Writing

  Our writing is important:


                We can improve our writing. I post about that. We can identify writing errors. We can identify ways to correct those errors. We may identify process whereby we can better our writing. We can keep our word choice as simple as is appropriate. We can use a dictionary to get a deeper understanding of the words we do use. We can spell those words correctly. God bless spellcheck apps.

The following list can point you toward ways to improve your writing:

~ Read some of my posts here. Each of them is intended to be an encouragement and a real help to a writer.

~ Read for pleasure with a bit more awareness of the nature of that writing.

~ Read about the "how to" of writing.

~ Try to see how a writer you like writes.

~ Study with a good writing teacher.

~ Join a writing group.

~ Form a writing group.

~ Start writing.

~ Keep writing.  

                We can learn to write better; practice helps. I intend to pass on as much as I am learning as I can. I still have a lot to learn. I am  following nearly all of the suggestions I make accept the joining of a writing group or forming one. I believe that my excuses for not doing so are fairly good.  I do know of such groups and have given them much thought.

                Participation in such a group strikes me as being an agreeable and productive activity. I have participated in groups and supported them. I have read about writing groups and there is a kind of group which I find attractive. An example of that of that kind of group was practiced and perfected by an Englishman by the name of Peter Elbow. He is a good teacher and a good writer and has written a particularly useful book entitled Writing Without Teachers. Much of that which follows here is my interpretation of parts of that book. I think that another appropriate title of that work could have been The Power of  Good Feedback. Peter's book is about the use of writing groups. An important value of such groups is exceptionally useful feedback. Such a group could prove very useful for you.

                Many of us find that our practice of writing is often an important personal growth process. As our writing grows so do we. That seems a good deal. As we grow and mature our writing gets better too. Writing can be wonderful. Most of us have done it mostly alone and that has worked out pretty well. Others enjoy the fruits of our labour, but know little of the process of its development. It may seem a wonder to them. Not a bad deal.

                Still we could find it profitable to help each other to better our craft. Evidence strongly suggests that learning in a group can be more profitable and productive in a group.

                With the help of a group or on our own we can be pleasantly surprised that our writing develops and improves with completing a single piece. In our career we may come to be please to discover that we have grown, matured, and become a better person through our practice of writing.

Words about that practice:

                I have discovered that I can find "a center of gravity" in a piece of work as I am writing it. That may center can develop and clarify as I write. It is like discovering the sharp, short form of what is is that I am really writing about.

                The example below includes ways I have gathered for getting a center of gravity or unifying theme around which I can organize a particular piece of writing. I trust the list will be helpful. It could be just a way of saying that you have my blessing to stray from an original outline. Such straying could lead to your discovery of a real unifying theme much more useful than was your original idea or outline.


Okay here's that example. Note that the idea is to start writing.

~ Start writing X because it seems more believable than Y. Note that as you write about X that you are beginning to understand about Y.

~ Continue your struggle with X and Y and see "A" come up.

~ As you write along you may honestly say "Ah, now I see what I have been getting at." 

~ Finish that which you have been writing about. Put it aside for a time. See useful implications as you look it over again.

~ See that your good idea iscrap.  Sort out the good parts from the bad.  You do not have to throw anything away. Some of it may turn out to be better than your favorite idea.

~ Your first writing may prove a good scaffolding for your next writing.

~ You find a powerful spark in a tiny digression. You keep the same elements of your work, but change the whole orientation for the better. 

~ As you progress in your writing be alert to emerging focus or theme.

~ If nothing emerges, sum up that which you have written, then sumit up again.

~ Push yourself a bit to keep getting some center of gravity or summing up to occur. 

~ Work gradually toward moderation of extreme positions.

               
                Don't Try to do all of the above at once every time! Reread the items. I have found that just part of one of them can be a saver, can make an okay piece be really good.

                For about 50 posts like this click here to go the Write With RCS site.

                Thank you for reading.




                                                                                                    RCS